Verse of the day...

~ “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” ~ Isaiah 41:10



Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thankful Thursday.......

This mornings drive to school was like most... full of chatter! The boys asking questions.. telling stories or noticing things outside as we all chime in our two cents worth.
This morning was filled with talk about how lucky we are and how thankful we are. Parent teacher conferences were last night... all is good on the school front! The boys all enjoy school!
We were talking about how lucky they are that they enjoy school... and that they have teachers they like and like then back. Michael mentioned that he was really thankful that he was able to go to school and learn. Some kids cant... or dont... for whatever reasons.... and they miss out of learning a bunch of stuff! Which all lead into conversations about growing up and what they want to be....... how long they have to go to college for that... what things they have to study... etc. Then somehow that all turned to talking about Military folks. They wanted to know about the time their grandpa spent in the Service... the time their dad spent in the Service... what they did and if they served in any wars. Of course that whole conversation went on about how thankful we are that there are people like their grandpa.... dad... and older brother that served or are serving in the Military to keep us free and safe. We talked about fallen soldiers... and how thankful we are that they were brave enough to take that fall for us. All that talk got a little emotional... and Michael got to thinking about his brother in the Navy.... and asked ... what if he ended up going to war and died. We all talked about how sad that would be ... but how Proud we would be too. With little tears in Michaels eyes... he said... *yep... if Melvin died in the war... I would be sad... but I would smile real big every time I thought about him* Little David chimed in and said...... * yeah... I would smile even when I cried* I asked them why the smiles... (even though I knew) they said because they would want people to see how proud they were instead of sad and upset.... and smiling would make them feel better anyway.

Well............ the ride home alone with all that to think about.......... got me to wondering about smiling. Do we do that enough? Do we smile even when we're sad? And if not... Why not?
Do we feel we are just faking the smile? Do we feel like we are bottling things up and putting on the 'happy face' for others? Yeah I know... there are things that happen in our lives that make us sad.... and thats fine... but why should that stop the smiling? A smile from one person brings a smile to another. A smile is a way of sharing joy... happiness....blessings.
Think about this for a minute... even as frustrated as Jesus must have been at times with folks... He was always smiling. As sad as God is with people of the world that turn their back on Him... He still smiles. A beautiful sunrise or sunset... A smile from God. A rainbow as bright as it can be....... A smile from God. A blooming flower....... A smile from God. God has a smile for us every single day......... but how many of us frown back. Well.. I for one am not going to frown today... today I'm thankful for all I have and I plan on smiling about it. Yeah.. sure.. there are things that arent going the way I want... or things I'm really confused about........... but I'm going to Smile back at my Father in Heaven and thank Him for all my trials! I will grow and learn from them and be a happier person for them. So... lets try it today... Smile! Show God and others that you are thankful for all you have! All the other stuff will work out.

SMILE............ God is!


Show & Share............
Speaking of fallen soldiers........ this is a square I made for a lady that is collecting squares for a comfortghan for a family that just lost their 21 yr old son to the war in Iraq last week. God Bless them! Thank you Johnathon for all you did to keep us free and safe!
This is a square made for a Swap on C'ville. Per my partners request of color and pattern... here it is.
I found out that her birthday was the day we were assigned as partners... so although we aren't to send extra items in this Swap... I felt she needed a little birthday gift. So I made some stitch markers.. I haven't decided which ones to send along with her square.. but she will be getting a few of these.
Gone fishin'.....................
This is such a cute idea. Its a fish dishcloth. It was super simple to make and turned out great!
I think I may have to make more of these....... :)
Well........ I'm off to get some crocheting done.
you all have a Thankful Thursday..................... *smile*

hugs... love... & blessings
.::Tam::.


**Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, along with everyone in your household.
~ Acts 16:31**

1 comment:

Patti said...

I updated my blog alittle while ago and thought I would do some blog reading and have to admit that your blog is so much better than mine, lol.
I've been sharing with my children, mostly my son on the importance of learning and being thankful of others as well. My son has had it kinda rough the past few years. I feel part of the blame is the school itself, but that's another story.
I love how you shared the smile story as well. It is better to smile, even thru the roughest times.
Your crocheted squares are very pretty too. I love how you made the one for the fallen soldier. They are such stong, caring people.
Stitch markers...so that's how you make them, lol. I've been making them differently. I'll have to get the earing parts and try them myself. Great work and gifts.
I have to admit....I love the fish dish cloth. If I knew how, I'd make some for a care package I'm working on, lol. Their so cute! lol.
Have a great thursday evening!!!