Verse of the day...

~ “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” ~ Isaiah 41:10



Friday, February 13, 2009

2009 Prayer Blanket Challenge.....

For children with Nephrotic Syndrome
Good Morning..........
Let me first say THANK YOU to everyone that helped me with this challenge last year as it was a GREAT success with reaching and exceeding my goal of 21 Prayer Blankets for "my kids" for Christmas!
After talking to Michael's nurse the other day... and spending time praying and thinking.. I'm going to change this years challenge.
Apparently there has been an increase in children coming in and being diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome. They are coming from other near by states too.... to receive treatment. The blankets that were taken for Christmas are down to 3. You can see ... they are going to need more blankets.... soon.
So......... my challenge is to to take 5 blankets each month starting with this month which I already have 5 blankets ready to go.
Prayer Blankets are made with a 12 point round blanket pattern.
Anyone willing to help me with this challenge that does not have a pattern of this sort... please email me (address on sidebar)
THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


What is nephrotic syndrome?

Nephrotic syndrome is a condition often characterized by the following:

*very high levels of protein in the urine
*low levels of protein in the blood*swelling, especially around the eyes, feet, and hands
*high cholesterol

What causes nephrotic syndrome?

Generally, nephrotic syndrome results from damage to the kidneys' glomeruli - the tiny blood vessels that filter waste and excess water from the blood and send them to the bladder as urine. However, in some cases, the cause remains unknown.Nephrotic syndrome may occur with many diseases, including the kidney diseases caused by type 2 diabetes. Prevention of nephrotic syndrome relies on controlling these diseases.

What are the symptoms of nephrotic syndrome?

Nephrotic syndrome is actually a set of symptoms and not a disease in and of itself.
The following are the most common symptoms of nephrotic syndrome.
However, each individual may experience symptoms differently.

Symptoms may include:

*high blood pressure
*swelling in the feet and hands, and around the eyes
*susceptibility to infections


Why is this important to me?

My sweet little 10 yr old (Michael) has been diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome.
The doctors have placed Michael back on prednizone due to tests showing his relapse once again.
Michael is the one that set this ministry into motion. I had made a Prayer Blanket for him during one of his bad relapses.... he found such comfort in it .. he said that all the kids with Nephrotic Syndrome needed one too. It would help them feel better like his does.
I spent time in prayer about it and came to the conclusion that Michael was right.... so for the last two Christmas's we have delivered Prayer Blankets for "our kids"
God Bless everyone that has helped us with this!




A handful of 2008 Prayer Blankets

Time to get busy crocheting.
Have a Fabulous Friday and a Wonderful Weekend!!!

hugs... love & blessings,
.::Tam::.

**We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in His love. God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them.
~ 1 John 4:16**

9 comments:

armymom451 said...

Hi Tammy, I'm on board. I will commit to one blanket for March. God bless.
Carol

Diane said...

Hi Tammy, I would love to help, but I don't crochet. However, I do have many, many skiens of crochet thread that belonged to my MIL. She is no longer able to crochet. I would like to mail that to you to help with your expenses. I will send an email. God bless you for your faithfulness to the wonderful cause!

Diane

sissie said...

morning babe, you know you can count on me for one maybe two this year:)

hugs,
sissie

Marie Anne said...

What a loving thing for you to do. I know I can do at least one for you (provided I can handle the pattern).

Which pattern are you using? Leave me a comment or PM me on Crochetteville.

teakaycee said...

Thank you Carol... I knew I could count on you!
Diane... what an angel you are. If you are sure about the yarn... that would be wonderful! Thank you!
Yep... I knew I could count on you Sissie for help! You are such a blessing!
MarieAnne.. thank you for wanting to help... I'll get you the pattern!

God Bless you ladies!!!

Judy said...

If I have a chance to make any more for you, what size was it you needed??

teakaycee said...

Thank you so much Judy!!!
anything over 36" is great... as these go to children ... toddler to teens.
God Bless you my dear!

Fledgling Techie said...

Every time I set out to make at least a handful of these to send to you, I suddenly get insanely busy with other projects and real life. However, I have FINALLY finished the one that I started in February! lol Has your address changed at all? (I still have it in my e-mail from the last one I sent you.)

teakaycee said...

yepperoo....... address is the same! Thanks so much for helping! I have to say.. this year was not near the success I have had in the past. But ... I'll try again next year! :)

.::tam::.