Verse of the day...

~ “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” ~ Isaiah 41:10



Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What is Prayer?


The purpose of salvation is to restore lost people to relationship with God our Father. Through the cross of Jesus, the barriers to that relationship were removed. When we begin to trust God once again and turn from our sin, He comes into our lives to begin a new relationship of love with us. God is in every true Christian (Romans 8:9,10; John 14:23; Revelation 3:20; 2 Corinthians 13:5). Our faith and love towards God will lead us to recognise His presence with us, to talk with Him, to listen to Him, to sense Him. This is prayer. We express our thanks, our faith, our love, our hopes with God in prayer, and we receive from Him answers, assurance, guidance, peace, strength, power, revelation of who He is and what He wants to do. (Matthew 7:7-8; John 16:13; Philippians 4:6-7; Ephesians 1:17,18 ).
For true Christians, prayer is "communion with God". Through prayer we actually experience relationship with God. The quality of our prayer life then determines the quality of our relationship with God. Prayer is talking with God. Prayer is listening to God. Prayer is enjoying the presence of God. It can take many forms - for example: worship, confession, thanksgiving, praise, petition (asking for things), waiting (silent, listening and sensing of God) and warfare (command). If we are baptised in the Spirit we can pray with the spirit, in languages unknown to us but not to God. (1 Corinthians 14:2,14).
Prayer is not simply saying words. It is not repeating formulas. God is looking for heartfelt relationship. We are told by Jesus not to make meaningless repetitions of words when we pray. (Mathew 6:7).
Grab a cup of coffee... maybe a pastry and spend some time today with your Father in Heaven.
It really is that simple. Everyone talks to themselves from time to time... why not talk TO God!?!
Have a terrific Tuesday and a wonderful week!
Hugs.... Love... and
**I am praying to you because I know you will answer, O God. Bend down and listen as I pray.
~ Psalm 17:6**

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I recently discovered your blog - and I really like it! You crochet beautifully, and your work truly inspires me. I was wondering if you could direct me to the pattern for the 12 pt round beanie you displayed in your post of 12/21/08 - I love it and have many nieces I could make them for!
Thank you for sharing -
Andrea