Verse of the day...

~ “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” ~ Isaiah 41:10



Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Book of Job...........

We recently had a family bible study on the book of Job.

The story of Job is something many of us can relate to in one way or another. While we might not have gone through the exact circumstances that Job did, in this world we all face struggles daily that we must learn to overcome. No matter what we have been through, we can all learn from the wisdom and humility found in the story of Job in the Bible. He was very prosperous, and had seven sons and three daughters. Constantly fearing that his sons may have sinned and "cursed God in their hearts", he constantly offered burnt offerings as a pardon for their sins. The "sons of God" and Satan (literally "the adversary") present themselves to God. God asks Satan his opinion on Job, apparently a truly pious man. Satan answers that Jobs pious only because God put a "wall around" him and "blessed" his favorite servant with prosperity. But if God touches "his possessions”, then Job would curse him. God gives Satan permission to test Job's righteousness.

As Job endures these calamities without reproaching Divine Providence, Satan solicits permission to afflict his person as well, and God says,” Behold, he is in your hand, but don't touch his life." Satan, therefore, smites him with dreadful boils, and Job, seated in ashes, scrapes his skin with broken pottery. His wife prompts him to "curse God, and die" but Job answers, "You speak alone of the foolish speaks. Moreover, shall we receive well from God and shall not receive evil?" That to me is just foolish talk, to think that he would simply curse God and die, he would never do such a thing, even though Job was incredibly wounded by the events of his life. He had spent his whole life loving and trusting God.

The Bible says that in this world we will face tribulation, but that trials strengthen our faith. I know sometimes I don't understand why things happen to me or the ones I love... neither did Job in his story, but I know everything happens for reason. God is in control of my life and yours, and I trust in his perfect plan for my life.
Questioning God can be easy, and trust is difficult.
When a loved one passes away or we lose something dear to us, questions flood into our mind, just like they did in the story of Job. Still the fact remains, we are not God.
Everything we go through is for a reason, whether to define us, strengthen us, or simply because we live in a fallen world.

Studying this book was LONG... hehehehe.. but very interesting! I hope the boys took something away from this story to use in their daily life. School can be a place where the boys can find struggles. Being picked on.......... by students of even teachers. I hope they can reflect back on this and find the lessons and hope they have in God! He is there to protect them... comfort them... and save them from all!
I know I certainly found an appreciation for what I have and a thankfulness in the trails in my life!

If you haven't.......... take the time to read the Book of Job! Its long.. but very encouraging!!!

God Bless you all

Hugs.... Love... & Blessings
.::Tam::.

No comments: